Browns’ Manziel enters rehab program

Berea, OH (SportsNetwork.com) – Cleveland Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel
entered a rehab program last week.

The Browns confirmed the news in a statement Monday, saying the 2014 first-
round pick began his treatment last Wednesday.

“We respect Johnny’s initiative in this decision and will fully support him
throughout this process,” said Browns general manager Ray Farmer in a
statement Monday. “Our players’ health and well-being will always be of the
utmost importance to the Cleveland Browns. We continually strive to create a
supportive environment and provide the appropriate resources, with our
foremost focus being on the individual and not just the football player.
Johnny’s privacy will be respected by us during this very important period and
we hope that others will do the same.”

Manziel had a rough rookie season, both on the field and off the field, in
2014.

Reports of his partying circulated all summer after the Browns used the 22nd
overall pick to select the former Heisman Trophy winner in May’s draft. He was
fined $12,000 by the NFL for a hand gesture he made in a preseason loss to the
Washington Redskins, then started the season on the bench behind journeyman
Brian Hoyer.

In late November, a fight at a high-end apartment complex in Cleveland between
a fan and people associated with Manziel took place in the early morning
hours.

Manziel eventually started two games late in the season, then was placed on
injured reserve for the finale because of hamstring issue. He then overslept
the day before the last game against Baltimore and was fined.

“Johnny knows there are areas he needs to improve on to help him be a better
family member, friend and teammate, so he decided to take this step in his
life during the offseason,” said Brad Beckworth, a friend and advisor to
Manziel and his family. “On behalf of Johnny and his family, we’re asking for
privacy until he rejoins the team in Cleveland.”

Manziel’s starting debut was nothing short of a disaster in Week 15 against
Cincinnati on Dec. 14 when he managed just 80 passing yards with two
interceptions in a 30-0 loss to the Bengals.

The former Texas A&M star was back on the field the following week against
Carolina and was 3-for-8 for 32 yards before exiting late in the first half
with the hamstring injury.